- This event has passed.
Assessing Israel’s Next Moves: An IGP Rapid Response Webinar
October 10, 2023 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Over the weekend, Hamas militants launched an attack against Israeli towns, killing hundreds and taking dozens of Israeli civilians hostage. The attack – which comprised a synchronized and sophisticated operation carried out by land, air, sea, and cyber – appears to be Israel’s biggest security and intelligence failure since the 1973 Yom Kippur War. Israel responded with a barrage of airstrikes and is preparing a major offensive in Gaza in what is expected to be a “long war,” according to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
SIPA’s Institute of Global Politics has convened an expert panel to assess the situation and explain its wider geopolitical ramifications, moderated by Keren Yarhi-Milo, Dean of Columbia’s School of International and Public Affairs and Adlai E. Stevenson Professor of International Relations.
- Hillary Rodham Clinton Professor of International and Public Affairs, Columbia SIPA; 67th Secretary of State and former Senator from New York; IGP Faculty Advisory Board Chair
- Stephen Biddle Professor of International and Public Affairs, Columbia SIPA; member of the Arnold A. Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies; IGP Affiliated Faculty Member
- Nadav Eyal Author of Revolt, the Worldwide Uprising Against Globalization; senior columnist for Yediot Ahronot Daily, Israel’s most circulated newspaper
- Kim Ghattas Author of Black Wave: Saudi Arabia, Iran, and the Forty-Year Rivalry That Unraveled Culture, Religion, and Collective Memory in the Middle East and contributing writer for The Atlantic magazine; IGP Inaugural Carnegie Distinguished Fellow
- Robert O’Brien Cofounder and Chairman of American Global Strategies LLC; 27th US National Security Advisor; IGP Inaugural Carnegie Distinguished Fellow